Sunday, February 15, 2009

Horseback

I'm going to go ahead and write this blog, but you probably won't see it until later in the year. Reason? Pyong is threatening me at knifepoint not to make this public.

I'm kidding.

I've got to keep this entry private until I tell my parents about... MY TATTOO!

YES! After so many years of threatening and wanting, I finally said to myself, you know, I'm 27. I will get a tattoo if I want one.

But it's always a matter of what to get. Since maybe the 8th grade, I've had this necklace of my last name in Chinese. The literal translation is "horse." I've been wearing this necklace for perhaps close to a decade now? I just really love the way that it is written. And so, I knew that there was nothing more I wanted on my back than my own last name.

But enough about the selection process. What you really want to know is... did it hurt?

The answer is an unequivocal YES!

After asking Angel Wing Jasmine and various co-workers what it feels like, I never prepared myself for how it actually felt! It really did feel like a scalpel slicing your flesh open. And the shortest line feels like an eternity. I'd say that the outline part was the worst of it though. When he colored in the design, it hurt too, but I don't remember it hurting as much. Maybe it's because my flesh started to get numb. Who knows? But I will stress that it still hurt like a bitch.

I kept my eyes shut and kept trying to rap this one verse from In The Heights, but I couldn't get passed two lines because once he drove the needle into my back, I became like a skipping record. I just couldn't think of anything else but the pain and found myself forgetting the lyrics and thus repeating the same line over and over.

During the tattooing, I said to myself: "This is the one and only tattoo I'm ever getting."

But as I sit here simply loving my new tattoo and thinking how awesome it feels on my back, I'm thinking more may be in the cards. I just need to find the absolute right image. Because not only is it with you for the rest of your life, but it hurts like a mother and so it has to be absolutely worth it.




Becoming a biker babe,

Ricky