Sunday, March 07, 2004

Greetings From the Windy City... (Well New York is Pretty Windy)


Guess where I am. Yes, I'm in New York visiting Ellvin Kelvin on a sort of last minute trip decision (planned at the end of January or so [I don't really remember]).

Anyway... before I get to the New York goodies, I gotta 'splain how the interview went.

It went pretty good. I was nervous as hell the night before. I flipped through the remaining chapters in the Richard Beatty book and then went to sleep. I woke up and got ready slowly... not wanting to do it. I was dressed all professional, suit and tie and everything!

My first interview was with an HR woman. She was awesome! She tried to calm me down and loosen me up a bit from my tense, nervousness by joking around and asking me about my New York trip and working at Disneyland. She really made me feel at ease about the whole interview thing, but I was still scared for the upcoming ones.

After a 15 minute talk with her, she asks me if I'm interested in a full time permanent job (instead of the temp job I was applying for). After saying no, then yes, then no, I finally said "yes I am interested" and she handed me a job description for an Administrative Assistant job that she was trying to fill. I didn't know what to do, so I told her I'd get back to her on that.

I then went to the second interview with my mom's boss and he was a cool guy. He asked me a few questions about Disneyland and told me about the job. His questions were kinda tough and I think I did a bad job answering them clearly, but I survived.

Next I went to talk with his boss who was a bit more scary to talk to. It went okay though. He asked me a few things about my computer skills and I asked him a few questions about possibly moving up in the job. After his interview, I had to talk to some of my mom's co-workers who I've met before and are super nice.

So anyway, to make this long story shorter, I got the job. And then the HR woman called me in my mom's cubicle and asked me if I wanted to interview for that full time permanent job that day. After much deliberation, I came to the conclusion that it's a better idea to learn the job my mom does because it's better. Yeah. Better.

Anyway, that was that. I start work the Monday morning after I return from New York (which is Sunday night).

Okay. Then I packed in an extreme hurry and went to the aeropuerte. I left on JetBlue airways...

The plane ride was a red-eye and I really did have red-eyes after. I slept for maybe an hour and was awaken by the turbulance of the plane. Violent turbulance. I spent my time on the plane staring at the little airplane figure that represented where we were over the United States till it reached from California to New York. Thus... RED EYES!

Ellvin Kelvin's friend Turok picked me up and we went back to his place. I met his other room mate and they're all cool. We went into the city to eat at a diner in Times Square and then we saw my first New York show... Starsky & Hutch at the United Artists theater. It was good.

Flash forward to today... we woke up late and went down to the Metropolitan museum. I also rode the subway for the first time which was dirty as all hell, but fast and efficient. The museum was really fun and we have some really cool pictures for a cool future Route.

Then we got half-off tickets to see Rent. The cast wasn't that great. I was disappointed. The second act was better, but I wasn't impressed.

Now I'm here. The end.

Sorry to cut things short, but I gotta take a shower. New York is filthy. Lots to do in the next few days, so see you shortly.

Preparing for a snow storm,