Friday, July 30, 2004

Village Schmillage


I can't say that I'm that disappointed with the new M. Night Shyamalan movie The Village, mainly because I wasn't expecting much in the first place. The idea of it sounded fun, but the trailers didn't really do anything to spark any real excitement in me for the film (unlike The Incredibles which I am dying to see). Plus, period piece films never grab me. So already going into the film, I wasn't expecting much, except that I knew it would be slow.

But man was it slow. There were scenes that went on and on, talking and talking, they wouldn't shut up. And then there were scenes that would build a minute of suspense and then just cut to another scene. In fact, there were a lot of scene cuts; very abrupt, just one scene and then another and another. It sort of felt jumbled and choppy.

And then the big twist was revealed (the explanation of the creatures in the woods) and the feeling of the movie totally changed. I don't want to give away anything really, but I was a little disappointed that the film took that route.

Ultimately, I didn't find the film fun enough. I had a blast watching The Sixth Sense and Signs because there were some really awesomely fun scares. In The Village, there are around 2 jump moments, but only because they were followed by extremely loud crashes in the soundtrack. I did however especially like one part very much. It involved a creature chasing something. That was straight out of one of my nightmares.

I think this film was just too long and too drawn out. I often get really cool story ideas that I can't possibly draw out into a full-length movie and this film's story/idea seems like one of those stories. It feels like it would work better as a half-hour Twilight Zone episode.

So I didn't really like it much, but I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. I guess it kind of lived up to my lowered expectations, or maybe even exceeded it by a bit (for that cool creature chase). But I don't think I can recommend it. It's just too slow for nothing to happen. The first 75 minutes or so... nothing happens. Character hears something, characters take notice, end scene. That happens over and over, so much in fact that the movie's theme (which seemed like the only tune played throughout the film) gets boring.

Anyway, that's what I thought of it.

And one more thing. Why are teenagers so damn annoying and immature. Who the hell do they think they are thinking they're so funny? The audience I watched the movie with must have been a bunch of just-turned-13-year-olds. The constant "shhhhhh" "shhhhhhh" "shhhhhhh" and yammering and giggling and grabbing is RETARDED! SHUT UP AND WATCH THE MOVIE! And I couldn't believe it. Some little ass thought it was funny to bring daddy's laser pointer and shine it on the screen throughout the film. WOW man! Way to go living in '95! I can't wait till you find the UFO shaped laser projections! How come they haven't added optional headphones for each seat to shut out the stupid kids who can't keep their fat yaps shut?



Annoyed,

Ricky

_________________________________________________________________________