Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Alien Con Balles


Steven Spielbergo is the man! That guy knows how to shoot big. Huge even.

Timotei and I saw War of the Worlds today. This movie is the definition of summer blockbuster action movie. Every 5 minutes or so, there is a huge scene that either bleeds thrills, chills, intensity, suspense, or all of the above. From the first time a human is obliterated, I was fully engrossed in the film. This wasn't going to be a happy-go-jolly E.T. cutesy whoopsy. There was a genuine threat and genuine fear as I was watching. I got to thinking about what I would be doing if this were to really happen, as if it could happen tomorrow.

The film has several images that only Spielberg could envision. There is a beautiful shot of Dakota Fanning in front of a flowing river. Another terrific scene has Tom Cruise and family walking through a field of falling fabric. The action sequences are enormously thrilling. They are interlaced with quiet scenes that allow you to catch your breathe before the next heart-pounding moment.

I feel the movie goes on too long though. Like A.I. (Artificial Intelligence), midway through the movie, I was happily content with the movie and just wanted it to end on a great note. Sure the movie provides us with more great action scenes, but these scenes are pretty exhausting. And soon you start to wonder how and when it'll come to its conclusion. And that brings us to the matter of the conclusion. It's a fine ending... I don't want to say anything. I was a little ehhhh about some things, but overall, I think it's a nice way to end the movie and a nice explanation. I think this movie will be even better on the second viewing since you know where it's going.

Now it may seem like I'm on the fence about recommending the film, but this isn't the case. I totally recommend seeing this in theaters. There are too many exhilarating moments that need to be seen to believe. This movie will become a classic. This movie grabbed and engrossed me more than Batman Begins even! Not to say that WOTW is better than Batman. I think Batman was a more satisfying movie. But it didn't pull me into it as much as WOTW. I mean, Batman. There was no real danger. We knew he was going to live. But in WOTW, there was a real sense of fear and danger for these characters.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. I really liked the movie a lot. It's definitely not perfect; far from it. But it's pretty damn awesome with some nice ideas. Oh, and it reminded me of Half Life 2.



Thumbs up; Ebert's crazy,

Ricky
_________________________________________________________________________